[78-L] Playing tmes [was Four Lads Stage Show]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 6 11:58:04 PDT 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>> Timings began to appear on most pop records in the fifties. They were often way
>> off..in some cases, deliberately fudged so as not to scare off radio
>> programmers (yeah, that Phil Spector ain't just guilty of knocking off broads).
>>
>> dl
> Were they intended to be the "real" playing time though?
>
>       Julian Vein

They were certainly not to be trusted. I've seen some timings that were so far
off, I wondered if the master had been transferred at the correct speed, but
changing that to match the given time never resulted in anything I'd call
listenable. Sometimes it's just incompetence, but Spector was known to have put
a false timing on You've Lost That Loving Feeling because it ran 4 minutes and
stations wouldn't have touched it otherwise.