[78-L] Windsor Tunnel

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 5 19:56:40 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> stevenc wrote:
>> 99% of those who use the tunnel are NOT bound for Windsor!
> I don't know where you get your numbers from but that's a strange way to
> think of it. Around 50% of those who use the tunnel are bound for Detroit,
> but 100% of those who use the tunnel are either on their way to Detroit or
> Windsor, regardless of where they're heading after that. We were talking
> about tunnel exits, not ultimate destinations.

True...but their eventual destinations is what is/was in their minds!
Obviously,
since the exit of the tunnel is in downtown Windsor, 100% of the Canada-
bound travellers are at least temporarily Windsor-bound; however, except
for the few travellers who stop at the "duty-free" store, ALL of these
folks have their minds on their actual destinations...NOT Windsor!

Same way that not EVERYBODY who exits to southbound I-75
is bound for Florida...some may be headed for local (Detroit)
destinations. I used to depart Detroit on I-94 east, headed for
Chicago and I-55 (north to visit my brother in West Allis...
south to go "home" (a mobile home in Bloomington, Ill's!).

I think back somewhat wishfully to a MUCH earlier era, when
one travelled on two-lane (one each way) "US Highways"
like 66 et al, and RARELY bypassed cities, towns and
villages! Back in "them days," one could grab one's meal
at any number of small, local, NON-chain restaurants...these
days one simply drops into a McDonalds or similar pan-
global operation, and orders up and eats a pre-created,
pre-frozen, pre-standarized "meal" which is guaranteed to
be identical regardless of in which city/country/continent/
planet/universe one happens to be?!

Can anyone coherently explain why the second option is
to be considered an "improvement?!" I suspect not, since
this IS the "78-L" list...collectors of recordings made well
before the creation of music became an exercise in
fooling with ones and zeroes using a high-powered
laptop machine?!

FEH!! quoth he...?!

...stevenc