[78-L] re-issues

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 5 17:41:04 PDT 2009

Wasn't there "16 Blue Roads to St. Louis"?  (Unless it was 14 roads) it
put the number of tracks right in the album title.  RCA also did an
album with multiple versions of Stardust, also 16, I believe.  And these
were "Down Beat Jazz Milestone" albums, I believe.

During those years the British routinely had 14 tracks on LPs when we
had 12 because of a royalty issue.  Our levels were a penny per song for
the composers and another for the publisher, while the British had a
per-album total rather than per-song (and I think it was the equal of 56
cents U.S.), so they could have 12 or 14 or 16 tracks for the same
royalty total.  This continued thru the early Beatles years, which is
why the albums were always different before Sgt. Peppers.  Then there
was a rate change that included a rolling amount that took extended time
lengths into account, so you couldn't get away with a 2 cents total for
a ten minute song!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com