[78-L] Wife Swap TV program is looking for collectors

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 5 16:28:47 PDT 2009

From: Jeff Sultanof <jeffsultanof at gmail.com>
> What would happen if one of the wives sold off the collection
> of the other during the week they are away?
> TV just continues to get worse and worse. Jeff Sultanof

That's the whole idea.  All of these "reality" shows thrive on
personality conflict.  They purposefully put people together who would
hate each other, and the original description that was posted here
actually states that.  While because of gender discrimination laws they
didn't specify that it would be the husband who had to be the collector
-- and notice that Andrea was the one who immediately replied -- it is
obvious they wanted a male collector who will be paired with an
obsessive compulsive neat freak so that she can plot against him.  It
would not work to have a collector woman paired with a male obsessive
compulsive neat freak because the man would be seen as MEAN.  It is OK
for these TV shows to portray a woman as a bitch, but a man who is mean
would be seen as criminally abusive.  There is also the possibility that
they will find a male collector with a wife who is the obsessive
compulsive neat freak who has been kept under control by the collector
husband and will be liberated by a casper milktoast male who won't stop
her.  But a man throwing out his wife's collection would be abusive
while a woman throwing out the mans collection will be seen as powerful
or bitchy, both permissable on TV.

So Andrea, I don't think you have a chance of being picked for the show.
 A woman can't be the victim, only a man can.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com