[78-L] Matrix Autographs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 5 14:03:53 PDT 2009

From: jeffrey smedbron <bottomlessattic at yahoo.com>
> Something I haven't seen before here on this Columbia comic
> sketch 78. An autographed matrix, how common a practice was that ?
> http://merr.com/users/xcentrik/ca-1855.jpg          Jeff S

Weber and Fields autographed almost all (if not all) of their masters.
That practice goes back to the Berliner discs of the 1890s when most of
them were signed by the performer.  Some opera singers continued the
tradition, and it was done on many Fonotipia masters along with a rubber
stamped rendition of the signature on the labels.  But it was unusual
for popular performers to do it by the time of these records.  I'm not
sure if it has definitively been established if Weber and Fields did it
to assure the masters would not be counterfeited, redone by other
performers under their name, or if it was conceit to show how IMPORTANT
they were and to wow collectors nearly 100 years later!  It sure gets
your attention!!!

Decca and Mercury were lucky they were using dubbed masters by the time
they were recording Sophie Tucker.  Otherwise she would have probably
insisted on signing her masters like she signed everything else!  She
must not have started that compulsion when she was recording for
Columbia in the 20s.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com