[78-L] re-issues

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 4 13:16:07 PDT 2009

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Reading the colourful discussion about re-issues reminded me of a record I have which doesn't make any sense at all.  It is a 10 inch re-issue of "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman.  It's on the "Swing Classic" label and is simply a truncated version of the 12 inch recording.  I don't understand why anyone who wanted the piece would want to save a quarter or whatever to buy this shorter version.

Those WERE dubbed for the juke boxes. And also for people who wanted to save a
quarter.

> I'm sure there are probably other 12 inch recordings which were similarly released but I don't know of any.

"I Can't Get Started" by Berigan. Also Jack Teagarden's "Shine" on HRS (fades
out at about 3:15 and the dub is the shits).

I have run into some Decca sets, (like "Song of Norway"), which were
subsequently released in 10 inch versions but I think they did some groove
squeezing so that all the music was on the smaller records.  I'm not saying
this because I've compared the records but, if I recall, there was some
indication on the label of these being longer playing records.

And these weren't dubbed from the 78s but from the original lacquer masters, at
the time they also transferred them to LP and 45..just made sense, since the
shellac pressings were pretty rotten at the best of times and they could charge
the same for Deccalite. New albums were also issued on longer playing vinyl 78s
at that time, like Menotti's "The Consul" and "Death of A Salesman".

dl