[78-L] re-issues

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Jul 4 13:07:08 PDT 2009

Reading the colourful discussion about re-issues reminded me of a record I have which doesn't make any sense at all.  It is a 10 inch re-issue of "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman.  It's on the "Swing Classic" label and is simply a truncated version of the 12 inch recording.  I don't understand why anyone who wanted the piece would want to save a quarter or whatever to buy this shorter version.  I'm sure there are probably other 12 inch recordings which were similarly released but I don't know of any.  I have run into some Decca sets, (like "Song of Norway"), which were subsequently released in 10 inch versions but I think they did some groove squeezing so that all the music was on the smaller records.  I'm not saying this because I've compared the records but, if I recall, there was some indication on the label of these being longer playing records.

db