[78-L] Shellac allergy

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 4 03:08:59 PDT 2009

I find contradictory information about my allowed daily dose of shellac.
Can some expert please clarify.

1) From foodinfo.net:
E904 = shellac
Acceptable daily intake (ADI) : None determined
    Side effects: None known.
    Dietary restrictions: None. E904 can be used by all religious groups and vegetarians.

2) wikipedia.fr, however, says that shellac (French: gomme-lacque) may cause allergic reactions and quotes from:
Le Coz C-J., Leclere J-M., Arnoult E., Raison-Peyron N., Pons-Guiraud A., Vigan M., (2000). Allergic contact dermatitis from shellac in mascara. Contact Dermatitis 46(3), pp. 149-152(6)

This is in fact contradictory. Now, has any of our list members experienced allergic reactions from shellac? In what way? What was the dose? What was the time of exposure? What was the remedy? Are you cured now?

Alex