[78-L] Auctions vs. "Make offer"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 2 22:32:33 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> I think we've discussed this before,  but one of the advantages of eBay is
> that they are real auctions,  in that your bid is automatically increased
> in
> fixed amounts as others bid against you,  and you don't always end up
> paying
> your full "bid" as you do on some of the lists mentioned below (Nauck is a
> major and most welcome exception to that).
>
> Most of the paper lists are not really auctions,  but are "make offer"
> lists.  If Cecil  says he'll pay $15 and Jerry says he'll pay $35,  Jerry
> ends up paying $35.  On a real auction,  if these were the  two highest
> bids,   Jerry would only pay approx. $16.

Here I beg to differ! I grew up in central Illinois, and during the early
70's
I attended a "farm auction" virtually every week-end. These are/were "real
auctions," and the winning high bidder paid whatever his winning bid was!
At one in particular, there was a 1938 State Farm road atlas which I really
wanted...so when it came up I bid ten bucks right off the top! Nobody
wanted to beat that (or they figured there was no point in trying to out-bid
me?!)...so I bought it for my $10!

In fact, that was one of my "strategies"...if I REALLY wanted something,
I'd start my bidding off with a higher-than-expected figure! In a very few
cases, there would be someone else with the same "want" and we would
auctioneers as "that guy who will ALWAYS bid a quarter on ANY box
of junk"...to the point that they would say, "Okeh, a quarter!" and look
right at me expectantly! These boxes were usually stuff from the kitchen-
cabinet drawers, dumped into a pasteboard box...I bought a lot of useful
old-style kitchen odds & ends that way...!

...stevenc