[78-L] label Info.

Charles Bihun csintala79 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 10:21:45 PDT 2009

A while back I bought a record with a recording of Hyena Stomp and Billy Goat Stomp by Jelly Roll Morton and the Red Hot Peppers.  I was told this is a reissue of a Victor record from the late 20s, which I suspected.  I was also told that this was Milt Gabler's reissue label from the Commodore Record Shop; I don' think this is accurate or maybe not.

I can find images of Gabler's reissues, and the label is printed with, U.H.C.A. Release, issued by the Commodore Record Shop.  The record I have only is printed with, Hot Jazz Club of America (I have never seen this spelled out in a discography; the acronym, HJCA, is always used).  I am also aware of reissues by the Hot Record Society (HRS) which apparently was a competitor of UHCA.

I can find background information on UHCA and HRS, including a full catalog for HRS, but I can find nothing on HJCA, except for an item here and there in a discography for an artist or an occasional sale on ebay.  From what I have found, I think that HJCA was contemporary to the other labels.

I would appreciate any background details on the label, i.e., founders, location of company, relation to major labels, period of existance, etc.

Thanks,

ChuckB