[78-L] Line-up for "(If I Were You) I'd Fall in Love with Me"?

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Wed Jul 1 20:17:44 PDT 2009

I'm remastering Velvet Tone 1962-V (Ben Selvin as Rudy Marlow
performing (If I Were You) I'd Fall in Love with Me) for August's web
jukebox. This record isn't listed in my Rust dance band discography.
78discography.com gives a recording date of July 2, 1929 - a date at
which Rust does show a Columbia recording by Selvin of the same tune.
Am I right in assuming the line-up is the same for both (except that
the Velvet Tone doesn't have a vocalist)? Rust suggests the following:

Ben Selvin violin - director; Manny Klein trumpet; Charlie
Butterfield trombone; Louis Martin clarinet; Joe Dubin tenor sax;
Irving Brodsky piano; Stan King drums

Would that be correct for the Velvet Tone?

Thanks.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/