[78-L] UV Discs

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Jun 30 23:48:42 PDT 2009

> Speaking of V-Discs, I was delighted to recently get one I had been
> looking
> for for years - Harry James' "Caprice Viennois," V-Disc 43.  It's an
> unissued 12-inch Columbia recording from 1941 and a beauty.  I've always
> loved this melody of Fritz Kreisler's, since I heard the composer's own
> recording on one of those RCA 60 YEARS OF MUSIC AMERICA LOVES BEST
> compilation LPs as a kid.
>
> Dave W.

Here's a toast to those  60 Years of Music LPs...the first place I ever
heard the Berigan of  "I Can't Get Started" as well as the Goodman/Ella
Fitzgerald of "Good Night,  My Love."  And also,  as I recall,  the Casals
version of The Swan.

Although they were really just advertising records for RCA,  they also were
pretty educational for this then 7-year old who loved all kinds of music.

Taylor