[78-L] Everbody's Truckin'

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 30 12:13:43 PDT 2009

A contribution to the seven words discussion..

We must remember that consistent diction is difficult.  That's diction with
a "t," friends.

The Modern Mountaineers recording of Everybody's Truckin' (Bluebird 6911
from 1937) must have simply worn their diction muscles out.

Every time the lead singer, Smoky Wood, sings "truckin'" the band answers
"truckin'".  As the song winds down and the phrase is repeated the "tr"
gives way to a softer consonant that if not an acutal "f" sure gets really
close.

Another example of the wonder that is western swing.

Archeophone)
> but party records were primarily double entendre in the 30s and 40s. "He
sh*ts
> himself" is heard in the Crepitation Contest, and that wasn't intended
for
> commercial issue when it was made..who knew it would go on to be the most
> bootlegged party record of all time? Lots of references in song and skit
> "doing it", plus ingenious ways of almost saying the words (as in Sweet
Violets
> and Shaving Cream) or covering them with a sound effect (We're Very Fussy
On
> The Radio).
>
> > "Offspring Deluxe" ends with this rhyme:
> >
> > Now I know I'll never be a pillar of this great nation,
> > And I don't expect to ever be fabulously rich,
> > But I'd far rather be a fascinating bastard
> > Than a legitimate (whispered) son of a bitch!
>
> That was about as far as they dared to go in commercial recordings.
Although
> there's the famous "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" by Hoagy Carmichael, where
some
> refuse to admit that Joe Venuti clearly sings "Barnacle Bill The
Sh*thead"