[78-L] MJ and The Weather ^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jun 29 15:55:42 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> While, as you said, this is a gag, it is not that far outside the
> realm of reality. Back in the 70s, the Mutual Broadcasting System had
> a network called the Mutual Black Network geared toward radio
> stations for the african-american market. I recall listening one day
> when I was working in radio to its feed and heard something akin to:
>
> 'A major explosion in a coal mine in West Virginia this morning
> claimed the lives of 5 minuers. No black miners where involved.
> There was a pileup on a foggy stretch of 1-80 this morning resulting
> closure of the highway. No black motorists were injured.

Oddly enough, this reminds me of once about four decades ago...
I was looking at very early copies of my "home town newspaper,"
the Bloomington (Ill's.) Pantagraph from the 1850's! One front
page went on for several paragraphs detailing the misadventure
of a local (white) person who had suffered injury in a rail-road
accident in town; the last paragraph in its entirety noted "An
Irishman was killed" as an afterthought!

Steven C. Barr