[78-L] Introduction (a bit long)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 28 20:40:38 PDT 2009

see end!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Michael Biel wrote:
>> You joined just in time to come into the MJ rant, but much of the
>> negative part of it comes from those who don't like that type of
>> "modern" music and/or are upset that the musical stars they DO like had
>> not gotten (or probably will not get) this kind of treatment at their
>> deaths.  Some of those who are upset about this topic have not always
>> understood the extrapolation into other performers or genre of music
>> that has been implied but not stated in those messages.
> ======================
> The main problem with not liking "modern" music is from the people who
> do like it, but have heard little else. At least we've heard this modern
> stuff and not found it to our liking, and some are able to argue a
> cogent case as to why this is so.
> The lovers of modern pop appear not to be in a position of having
> selected their music from a range of genres.
> We are aware that popular music goes back to the 19th century. That
> doesn't mean we necessarily enjoy it, but we do have an overview of the
> history of popular and other musics from which we are able to choose.
> Depending on your stance, pop music began with The Spice Girls, Michael
> Jackson, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Elvis, Frank, Bing. Nothing
> existed before that or is worthy of consideration. Again, we come back
> to the question of lack of inquisitiveness.
> About 25 or so years ago, I played some records to my daughter's then
> boyfriend, who was doing some music producing of his own. I played him
> some fairly conservative stuff like the Buck Clayton jam sessions, and
> he was amazed at the soloists harmonic knowledge. I think that was/is
> indicative of the falling standards in music creation. Because he was
> young and "with it", I also played him some Sun Ra, but it scared the
> crap out of him!

Well, I am not only a "listener" of comparatively-recent music...I am also
a PERFORMER thereof (as the high-muck-a-muck of a BLUES band!).
I managed to at least tolerate the then-current pop music until about 15
years ago...when the style became "Urban Dance" and ALL I was
hearing were badly-played attempts at recreating the "funk" rhythm
best exemplified by the late James Brown!!

Sadly, the creators of modern-day "pop music" have discovered that
rhythm sections can easily be replaced by endless repetitions of the
same "sound files"...why pay a human drummer when he/she/it can
easily be replaced by a digital entity?!

FEH!!

...stevenc