[78-L] Gale Storm passes

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jun 28 16:40:06 PDT 2009

This is an unusually sad run of deaths...all celebrities whose work I
admired at least part of the time.

The Gale Storm Show (the one where she was a cruise director on a liner) was
a real favorite of mine as a kid,  and I especially liked Zasu Pitts as her
sidekick.  BTW Gale's second film is a very odd and touching little 1940 "B"
picture  from RKO called  "One Crowded Night" which has no "stars" but is
cast with an amazing group of unknowns and semi-knowns,  some old-timers and
a few newcomers like the 18-year old beautiful Miss Storm.  I always liked
her version of Memories Are Made  of This and still have the family's 45 of
it somewhere.

And,  in very recent years,  I discovered the guilty pleasure of watching
Billy Mays hawking various products...so loud you thought his lungs might
burst,  but with great enthusiasm and seeming sincerity.  Watching Billy
"pitch" was like watching any great performer at the top of his game...a
treat,  if you could just enjoy it for its own sake.

Taylor  (who,  from time to time,  still sings "You're Pushin' Too Hard"  if
no one else is around to hear)