[78-L] Mercury 70385

Margaret Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 27 19:53:11 PDT 2009

RE:
Mercury
70385 DEMO RECORD ADVENTURES IN HI FI - - - - -
70385 RHYTHM AND BLUES I GOT RHYTHM

Mercury 70385

This yellow-label "HI-FI Demonstration Record" does not have any performer
credits. One side is called "Adventures in Hi-Fi" and the other side is
i.d.'d only with its song title "I Got Rhythm."

The Red Saunders site give this info and commentary, the site url is:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:jm9kjVztBlAJ:hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber
/saunders.html+%22mercury+70385%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Scroll down to item 41.

Mike Simpson (ts -1); Dick Marks (p); Chubby Jackson (b); Red Saunders (d).
Mercury Studios, Chicago, June 1954 YB10641  Adventures in Hi-Fi (Saunders)

 Mercury 70385
YB10642  I Got Rhythm (Gershwin-Gershwin) -1
 Mercury 70385

Discographies merely give 1954 as the date for this single; interpolation in
the Mercury matrix number series indicates that the session took place in
June of that year. (In the wax the prefix is YBU instead of YB; on the
45-rpm issue the prefix is YW)

The band is identified as the Mercury All-Stars on the 78-rpm issue. Mike
Simpson is credited on both sides of the 78-rpm issues but is heard only on
"I Got Rhythm." On the 45s that we have seen, there are absolutely no band
or musician credits, just the words "Hi-Fi Demonstration Record"! Our thanks
to Hubert Stowitschek for providing label shots of the 45.