[78-L] Odd Capitol 78

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Jun 27 17:11:26 PDT 2009

Cap 101-503 are all black label, and there are no purple label repressings with these numbers.
Ruppli (Cap dg on CD-ROM) states, after 503: "At this time, the popular series was switched to the 15,000 series. The 500 series was resumed later on for records in albums, and later used as a continuation of the 15,000 series."
15000-15428 are purple label (15428 is the last label image I have in this series; it's not clear to me
what then happens; some much higher numbers are from albums).

57-543 - 57-788 and 792 &c are purple (these ranges based on available images).
Cap 502 is mx 3233 (purchased master, recd 1-1-1948), poss. released ca. March/April 1948 .
Apparently the purple label was introduced for the popular series with the 15000 series.
I'm not certain if 15000 was released after 503, or if the 15000 series was introduced late 1947, before
the black label series had been ended with 503.

Han Enderman
===
>>> The different label colors were in place from the very beginning, with the
purple label being the more expensive one. As with Decca, artists who sold well
could be moved onto the higher priced label. But at some point the prices must
have been leveled and the black label numbering was continued on purple label
(for a time with prefixes like 57-), with the 15000s and 10000s continued as
album numbers or special series issues.

Anyone know exactly when the black label disappeared? The numbering system
didn't, so I can't tell from chronological listings or entries in Whitburn. I'd
guess 1949.

dl
<<<