[78-L] Talking string

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jun 27 12:47:40 PDT 2009

The "string" is actually a plastic strip, and one of the flat sides
contains a vertically modulated recording.  You can see the undulations.
 The one I have came as an advertising item from Sutherland Lumber in
Columbia Missouri.  It says "Sutherland Lumber" in a woman's voice.
There was a woman's face printed on a card and the red strip is passed
thru a little slit in the lips.  It looks like a
looooooooooooonnnnnngggggg tongue.  She'd be great at catching flies.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Glen Richards <glenster at 2multiples.com>
FWIW, I remember large balloons with a plastic "string" that had a
spoken phrase molded into it like speed bumps or "wake up strips" on the

road. You'd run your thumb nail down the "string" at an appropriate
speed and you'd hear the phrase - the balloon acted as a resonator! Have

you seen the car ad on TV where the guys are driving on the warning
strips, listening to a recognizable tune played by the tires? Yeah,
something like that... :)  Glen