[78-L] Michael Jackson. A Balanced View.

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 27 09:32:15 PDT 2009

At 10:56 27/06/2009, Spats wrote:
>Michael Jackson's death is of-course mentioned on the media in the UK
>as a lead story, not least because he was due to give several massive
>concerts here in the next couple of months. However, we are not
>getting wall to wall coverage.

This is of course, in my opinion, true news has given over to, what
I'll call, news-ertainment. In the USA it is more about
sensationalising the news instead of simply reporting the facts. It
is more about grabbing ratings which in turn grabs advertising
dollars, rather than substance. We saw this in the wave of 9/11 with
wall to wall speculation was presented as hard fact. I recall a local
TV station lead off with a story 'Will the Golden Gate Bridge be blown up
tomorrow? Details at 11', based purely on speculation that some
dynamite was missing from a hydro project in Texas and the someone
said that Al-Q might use it to blow up bridges.

As to the UK coverage, I can only speak to one aspect. I heard little
mention of the event during Janice Long's show on BBC Radio 2 from
midnight to 3 AM, apart from that which was in the news. Alex Lester
(3AM to 6AM), however, lead off with a MJ toon every hour after the
news, leaving me quite disappointed in him. I only heard one MJ track
on Terry Wogan's show.

Jackson was a pop star, but one whose time had passed. He was
pathetic in as much as he was a totally lost soul whose pain lead him
to extreme quirkiness. In a sense, I feel he was insane, and his
minders let him get away with stuff because he was who he was.

He is being beatified in death in a way that cheapens those who
contributed far more. I have seen reports about how much did for the
third world and famine relief with USA for Africa via the record We
are the World. One news story as much as suggested that he was the
end all to be all in that effort. IMHO, had it not been for the
efforts of Bob Geldof and Midge Ure via Band Aid and Live Aid, the
whole event would never have taken place. Where are any news stories
of MJ meeting world leaders to urge debt cancellation or efforts to
relieve suffering.

Was he really all that good? When compared to his contemporaries,
possibly only as a showman. Whereas Lennon and McCartney left a
legacy that will live on, artists like Harry Belafonte, Paul Robeson,
Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, heck even Spike Jones still can be heard
on the radio. We watched a bit of In the Heat of the Night on TV last
night and I can say that Sidney Poitier surpasses Jackson in what he
will be remember for. MJ will possibly only be remembered for
Thriller. I guess what I'm saying is that all of those people that I
mentioned, have a breadth that touched many parts of our lives,
activism for peace, civil rights, support of troops, etc, but Jackson
was a silo.

Again, I don't own anything by him, never will buy anything by him,
and only mourn him as the passing of another human being.