[78-L] Michael Jackson. A Balanced View.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 04:36:16 PDT 2009

Spats wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Jackson's death is of-course mentioned on the media in the UK
> as a lead story, not least because he was due to give several massive
> concerts here in the next couple of months. However, we are not
> getting wall to wall coverage. Other news stories from politics
> around the world to Wimbledon's tennis (we actually have a British
> player with a chance for the first time in decades) are also getting
> mentioned.
>
> He was, there's no doubt, a fine artiste in his genre, whatever his
> strange behaviour and people in the future may well look back on his
> best work...such as the Thriller video, in the same way that we look
> back on Fred and Ginger routines. It definitely was a classic in its
> genre.
>
> Personally, however, even within the world of pop music, I think that
> there are others, still alive, who are more important. Paul McCartney
> and Stevie Wonder come to mind, even if their more recent output
> hasn't been up to the standard that it once represented.
>
> Of-course, the outpouring of grief at his death is really a
> generation mourning the end of their own youth; just as it was with
> the death of Presley, Lennon, Pres. Kennedy and Princess Diana.
> Someone who had been an omnipresent icon is suddenly there no more.
>
> He was a troubled man and I don't think that he would have found it
> easy to face the aging process.
> None of us do, but for him, a sort of Peter Pan in ihs own mind, it
> would have been especially difficult. So, maybe he went when he
> should have; still able to perform...
>
> Earl.
The shame is that much of the music listening public are only interested
in "pop" music--their world revolves around pop artists and their
goings-on. Their lack of inquisitiveness into other areas of music. as
it is in other areas of human activity, is rather sad,

I'm not a lover of Fred & Ginger (the former's acting performances were
exercises in conceit, and I quite like the latter's singing), but at
least you could understand the lyrics they were singing. Perhaps that
not the fault of the performers today, but of their producers and
engineers. Or perhaps no one is interested in the words anymore.

Another point is idolatry. I've never been into this. Entertainers are
normal human beings, though some have covered or had themselves covered
with a patina of  showbiz eccentricity. Can you imagine worshipping
plumbers, electricians, bridge builders, etc.

Entertainers go to the crapper like everyone else, and their waste
products smell like ours.

"The cemetery is full of indispensable people."

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4193 (20090626) __________

http://www.eset.com