[78-L] Gregorian Chant dates?

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Fri Jun 26 12:56:17 PDT 2009

I just picked up a beautiful set of Gregorian Chant records on Victor
M-87 (recorded by the Choir of Monks of the Abbey of Saint-Pierre de
Solesmes). Does anyone know when and where these were recorded? I see
the oval "VE" bug in the runout, so I'm guessing late 1920s or early
1930s. The labels state "Recorded in Europe" (obviously), but were
these made in a studio, or did Victor's European affiliate take
portable equipment to the abbey? The sound is rich and spacious. I'm
just curious. The matrix number in the runout of the first side is CF
3151-2. Individual records in the 12-inch six-record set are numbered
12544 through 12549.

Thanks,
Bryan W.