[78-L] Sterling label

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jun 25 20:16:54 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>
> anyone have a brief history of STERLING?  (78rpm, c.1947)
> who owns the masters?  is there a listing or complete discography?

Probably not on the Internet; however, I suspect the label is
included in that book on 78rpm labels (whose title & author
I can't bring to mind!). The label is more important than might
be assumed, since it was the first label to record Hank Williams!

However, VERY little research has been done on the gazillion
or so "independent" labels of the forties & fifties (there were just
TOO MANY of them!)...and I don't envy the hapless 78ophiles
who are strving for complete listings of ANY...let alone ALL...of
these...?!

...stevenc