[78-L] Sophie Tucker correction

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 25 15:21:14 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Sophie Tucker autographed EVERYTHING..I have her autobiography
> and one signed Mercury LP.  dl

It's been discussed here before: unsigned copies of her autobiography
are relatively rare, signed copies are common.  I have a couple and have
seen dozens more.  Same with many of her Mercury records.  She sold
things at her club appearances, and my parents saw her in Miami in 53.
It was difficult to get out without buying something.  Somehow my
parents resisted, but they did bring me a bunch of her 3-D glasses.
They were printed red and blue but had a slit cut out in each side.
During her act she would say to put the glasses on.  She would get a big
laugh when she then said that you could now see her act in 3D.  OF
COURSE you could see her act in 3D.  It was a live, in-person
performance!

Mike (you could also see her in wide-screen cinerama) Biel
mbiel at mbiel.com