[78-L] Hail to the sleeve, #2: OPA ceiling prices

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 25 04:12:18 PDT 2009

From: <davdieh at aol.com>
> > Majestic bought Hit in February of 1945. OPA came about in
> > Jan., 1942 but I don't think it got around to meddling with
> > phonograph records until the summer. It was dismantled in
> > 1947 but most of its rules seem to have expired much
> > earlier.  -David Diehl

Note that the Majestic sleeve gives "Ceiling Prices" not "O.P.A. Ceiling
Prices".  Given the late date of Majestic's entry into the market, were
these government mandated top prices or mis-named company-set prices?
Usually at that time companies set List or "Fair-Trade" Prices which
were mandated by the company to not be reduced by their authorized
dealers.  They could cut off any dealers who discounted these prices.
Thus these prices were the LOWEST prices, while OPA Ceiling Prices were
the HIGHEST prices.  In the 50s and 60s, the beginning of the era of
consumerism, the courts invalidated list price agreements and Fair Trade
laws, which required companies to allow dealers to discount prices.
"List" prices are now "Suggested Retail" prices.  New York was a "Fair
Trade" price state which gave New Jersey discount stores quite an
advantage in the days of my youth in the 1950s until the laws were
invalidated, partially due to the efforts of Mr. Sam Goody himself.

From: GENE JOSLIN <electrodeon at yahoo.com>
> Long ago I read that Victor's late 1920's sleeves were created
> by one gifted pen and ink artist/designer with an un-assuming
> name, now long forgotten by me, at least.
> Does anyone know who this could have been, since his sleeve art
> so beautifully delineated the Orthophonic era?  Gene Joslin

I don't know his name, but at least he is not like Mr. Steinweiss taking
improper credit for "inventing" the illustrated album cover.  For that
reason alone that Victor artist deserves to have his name known!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com