[78-L] Another Depression song

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jun 24 18:48:18 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Just noticed another reference to economic conditions in the early 30s, in
> "Cheerful Little Earful" (1930)..contains the line "Stocks can go down,
> business slow down".

But, like virtually all depression-era pop tunes, the song would have us
(the listeners) pretend that there WAS NO depression...or if there was
we should ignore the facts! We also had, "Potatoes are cheaper,
tomatoes are cheaper, now's the time to fall in love...(?!)

The only two songs I can recall that confronted the economic realities
were "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime" and "Remember My Forgotten
Man!"

...stevenc