[78-L] I found Lizzy Miles

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Tue Jun 23 10:00:18 PDT 2009

I'm about two weeks behind on reading my 78 list messages.  One reason is  I'm still  sorting and listening to the large collection of records I  picked up for almost nothing at a couple recent auctions.  What prompts this post is  a record I  just  played, Lizzy Miles, Hot Songs my Mother Taught Me. It's an LP, but I'm blown away by this woman's voice. Do not recall  ever  knowing about her, which is  a shame as well as  amazing.  Internet search says she was born  Landreaux in New Orleans,   died in 1963, recorded from about 1910, found fame in Paris as the Creole Songbird, etc.   Her  easy,  distinctive delivery on old standards  is just wonderful to my ear.  Anyone  know of any 78s she recorded?
Jim Whipkey