[78-L] EFHJREM

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:22:20 PDT 2009

George Simon went on record to protest the strings in James' band, but as I
said in my earlier post, some of the James sides are very beautiful. And
Harry let his arrangers write whatever they wanted; he needed as many
arrangements as he could get given his radio work and his live gigs, but
above all, he loved good music of all types. Johnny Thompson wrote a couple
of very interesting compositions for the band, and James had a version of
Poinciana that was positively bizarre. James even had an arrangement of
Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk because he liked the piece. I will always
respect him because he used his huge popularity to expose his audience to
all types of quality music, as well as the treacly stuff that sold lots of
records.

Jeff Sultanof