[78-L] EFHJREM

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 22 08:28:38 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> I love the James band as well.  I've always preferred his  version  of I'm

> Beginning To See The Light (with the cool Allen Reuss intro and coda and a

> great Kitty Kallen vocal) to the lumbering  Ellington rendition which was
> issued around the same time...on that one the Ellington reed section just
> sounds like an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.  It is a great song but

> the I think the James arrangement is way better than was Duke's of his own

> tune.
> Taylor
====================
The Duke version sounds like a school band playing it at a safe tempo,
so as to avoid mistakes and to impress the parents!

      Julian Vein
I love both band versions - and there are alternate takes of both, as well -
James did the first take in NY and the second a week later in LA, if memory
serves and there are a lot of small differences between them, right from
Allan Reuss' intro.  Both are fine, though.  An alternate of the Duke turned
up on the 24-CD RCA Centennial box, and it's pretty sloppy compared to the
issued take.

Dave W.