[78-L] Hope you will like this - Here's another genius

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 21 20:20:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
>>> Unless he is just a very clever "lip sync" artist.
>> Point being...there are TWO different kinds of "Child Prodigies!!" The
>> first has mastered the playing, note for note, of various existing
>> musical
>> works (granted, this is a DIFFICULT task!!)...the second is able to
>> play his/her/its instrument in an existing musical style...but NOT
>> replicating previous recorded performances!!
>> #1 can be replaced by a tape recorder...#2 CANNOT!!
>> ...stevenc
> Shouldn't there be #3, those who create music in an original style?
>      Julian Vein

Perhaps...EXCEPT there are VERY few examples of #3! Making up a
whole NEW musical style is a task generally well beyond the abilities
of ADULT musicians!

I can off-hand think of perhaps TEN (if that) musicians who invented
their own brand-new approach to playing music!

We can start with Armstrong...add Billie Holiday, and Fletcher Henderson
(I'm thinking of his 1929-32 work here, which evolved into "swing!") I'm
not familiar enough with "be-bop" to continue this list...comment ca va?!

...stevenc