[78-L] Hawaiiian Jazz Question - Mal?

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Jun 21 10:44:17 PDT 2009

Dave -
This version I know from nothing.
However "Ka-Lu-A" was written in 1921 by Jerome Kern and Anne Caldwell
for the stage play "Good Morning Dearie" and was picked up by Hawaiian
musicians and adopted. So it's now considered a Hawaiian standard. A
song it is coupled with on many 78s, from the same play, is "Blue Danube
Blues".
I'd like to hear it. Maybe I could identify the steel guitarist.
Mal

*******