[78-L] Brass Band keys

Valerie Langfield rcq at minuet.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 21 10:42:01 PDT 2009

OK, I've contacted a colleague who is librarian for another brass band.

He confirms Buglers' Holiday as B flat concert.

Both the arrangements he has of the Dvorak are in F minor concert. (I've
realised I was muttering about F major, when I meant F minor; sorry.)

The Ord Hume piece is also in B flat concert.

He has also given me information on the change in pitch. For decades,
for brass bands, concert A was almost a semitone higher than A=440; the
situation began to change in the mid 1960s, but it took a long time; it
meant either putting in an extension tube, which for all sorts of
reasons (to do with intonation) isn't very satisfactory, or replacing
all the band's instruments (expensive). Your recordings, if they date
from the 1950s, would have been in high pitch.

So, after all that - over to you!! I'm not sure whether any of this is
going to be consistent with what you've found. But those are the keys.

Good luck.

Valerie

--
Valerie Langfield