[78-L] Glass Base 78s

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:59:54 PDT 2009

Well, here:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180076-1.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180078-1.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180079.jpg

you can see that it is plastic core with two recordable "sides" above and
below, while on these pictures:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180080.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180081.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/P8180084.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/scan1.jpg
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/mmilovan2009/scan2.jpg

it can be seen label design. There is only one side with label marked
"Decelith", and the other side is blank. Also, translucency of such disc is
easily visible as well.

 These discs are 10" in diameter and shown here is inside start recorded
performance, different on each side. I suspect that origin of such discs is
radio station somewhere in Croatia or Bosnia. Radio Belgrade station used
black Decelith foils during WWII. After the war such Decelith discs (with
Nazi speeches and so on) were dumped off from the station, with other side
not recorded. Early recording enthusiasts in Belgrade used other blank side
to record jazz performances of some musicians as early as 1945 or 1946. on
amateur equipment they bought before WWII. Also, they used thick celluloid
roentgen films for such occasion with equal success.

Best wishes,
Milan