[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 19 08:38:06 PDT 2009

The MOOD INDIGO record shouldn't be too rare as it was a #14 Billboard hit
in 1954.  The trio consisted of Petty and his wife Violet, both keyboards,
and Jack Vaughn on guitar.  It sounds like all three joined in on the vocal.
RayK

From: "Glenn Longwell"
Thanks Royal. I picked up an E copy of that Norman Petty disc recently in a
stack of records at an estate sale, probably paid 50 cents for it. I knew
the name was familiar but couldn't place it's significance. Had yet to look
it up. Now I don't have to.

From: Royal Pemberton
> Probably a Sarasate violin record i found on the floor, flea market,
> sunday
> morning, and bought for a mere 3 euros (4$), double faced spanish HMV
> issue.

About 3 years ago I found an E condition copy of his ZIGEUNENWEISER on
a mint HMV disc (mid-30s pressing with 'imported by Radio Corporation
of America' stickers on the label) for $1. At the same time I found a
V++ copy of 'Mood indigo' b/w 'Petty's little polka' by the Norman
Petty Trio on X 0040 also for $1. (Yes, he who shortly afterward
would have a skinny kid from Lubbock, Texas called Buddy Holley come
his way and make them both very famous.)
78-L at klickitat.78online.com