[78-L] Glass Base 78s

78records at cdbpdx.com 78records at cdbpdx.com
Thu Jun 18 11:29:15 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 6/18/09, Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com> wrote:

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Glass Base 78s
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 1:26 AM

Now that we have had a chance to see and somewhat hear at a distance the
discs under discussion on the postings you made back in December (and
could have told us about in the first message) it is obvious what you
have.  These are excerpts of Orson Welles' "Radio Almanac" programs from
May 24 and June 28, 1944 that were dubbed at 78 for customers or perhaps
one of the performers.  Two were done at Radio Recorders, which as I
mentioned before, did all of the official recording for CBS in Hollywood
because CBS didn't want to be bothered operating their own recording
service like most other networks and stations.  .....

THANK YOU MICHAEL!  This is perfect information!  I would be happy to see your "Ph.D. dissertation "The Making and Use of Recordings In Broadcasting Before 1936".

Sorry about dragging this out.  The original thread was simply asking about glass records, but it evolved into discussion of the radio recordings and Orson Welles.  The original picture of the radio recording was password protected so I posted links to the YouTube stuff.  Thought that might be helpful.  I'm still a novice at this hobby and don't always know what questions I'm trying to ask.  As in this case, it just sort of evolved into something else.  Thank you for your patience as I try to grow into a more knowledgeable 78 rpm collector.

Regarding the YouTube recordings, when I first thought to record these vids, I used the camera's mic.  That didn't get the best results so after a couple weeks I made simultaneous wav file recordings, converted those to mp3, then added them to the video soundtrack.  Much better sound.

To placate folks that want to see reponses at the end of a message, here it is.  And, to appease the folks that want shorter messages, most of the message is gone.

CDB