[78-L] News from Dust-to-Digital

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 08:33:44 PDT 2009

PT-1001 / 45 rpm record
Release Date: August 2009
As previously announced, Dust-to-Digital will take its first step into the world of vinyl when it issues Edouard-Léon Scott's April 9, 1860 recording of an excerpt from the French folk song "Au Clair de la Lune." We are producing the record with David Giovannoni, a driving force behind the First Sounds project. The record will be the inaugural release on our new vinyl imprint Parlortone.

Last year, it was believed the voice being heard was that of a female singing. Since then, David Giovannoni and Patrick Feaster have realized that it is actually the voice of inventor Edouard-Léon Scott. The words are from "Au Clair de la Lune" as it was originally determined, but the speed that was used during playback was double the speed at which the audio was recorded. As David told us, they were trying to hear audio recorded with an 1860 frame of mind through 2008 ears. Details about their new discoveries can be heard in this recent NPR interview and will be included in the Parlortone 45, which is at the pressing plant and should be available late July or early August.

Cary Ginell