[78-L] condition freak

Ron Fial ron at fial.com
Wed Jun 17 18:00:50 PDT 2009

I notice the same thing.   Many 78s that sound poorly (no matter what
turntable/needle/filter combination I) use sound amazingly better when played
on my Victor Orthophonic with a new steel needle.  An exception (ouch!) is modern electricals
with way more grove modulation than the acoustic reproducer can handle.

Why is this?  Is it the perfect fit of the steel needle in previously 'steeled' groves, perhaps 78-optimized
acoustic filtering of the Orthophonic playback, or some other unknown effect?

    Ron Fial

>Phonoguy wrote:   I can still enjoy a record that is all greyed, cracked beat up and chipped
by playing them on my old steel needle talking machines. I know everyone
cringes when they hear someone sat "steel needle", but these are records that
many would throw in the garbage because they are not in good condition.  You
would be amazed at how good they sound with a steel needle...and the
scratchiness just adds to my pleasure. When I find an excellent 78 I will not even
play it on anything old or modern. I just look for a worn copy to play that
you can pick up for 25 cents or so and enjoy that.  Be it E+ or junk... 78's
can still be fun for all ears :):)  Henry