[78-L] Annette Hanshaw's Last Interview

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 17 15:02:05 PDT 2009

soundthink at aol.com wrote:
> Actually, he missed out on a great follow-up question. At first, she stated that she hated "all" of her records, every last one of them. Then, we Jack brought up the Sunbeam reissue LP of her stuff, she said that nobody played the tracks on the LP she liked. Cullum was too interested thinking about his next question to react to this opening. You've got to LISTEN when you're interviewing somebody. Put down your damn notes and pay attention. Cullum gushed way too much about her and it was obviously embarrassing her (she said that she was an introvert, which was why she got out of show business). The problem with radio interviews is you have to make it a "show" rather than extracting valuable information. It's the rare individual who can do both.

I think she became anxious to get the interview over. He failed to be
respectful of her sensitivities.

One can see that her shyness in her performances was not put on. She was
a knockout, a true beauty of her time. She probably tired of being
treated as an object. People like Garland and Monroe did not fare as
well. Too bad the the interviewer did not address this.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.