[78-L] Glass Based 78s

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 17 14:55:35 PDT 2009

78records at cdbpdx.com wrote:
> Thanks for the info!
> There were a couple Presto Glass Base blanks with the Barbary Coast Orch recordings. All comes together now. View here:
>
> http://78records.cdbpdx.com/BCO/tn-800_PRESTOGLASSBASERECORDDISC-Label.JPG
>
> "...Radio Recorders was a major Los Angeles studio that did ALL the recording for CBS on the West Coast and usually had bright yellow labels."
>  Your description is right on the money.  Why and how were these made?  Pressed from a master or cut 'live'?  Were they transcriptions sent out to other radio stations?  They only had a single song on each side with some commentary by the DJ, Orson Welles.
>
> Thanks for enlightening me.  This is really cool!  CDB

Make sure you trim your replies. This one was a week long.
They were cut onsite and were used much as a tape recorder was used
later. They are not durable, so were only good for  a few playings. If a
transfer was to be made it had to be done quickly. They usually do not
stand the test of time either.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.