[78-L] Fred Gaisberg BBC Radio Biography

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Wed Jun 17 13:27:30 PDT 2009

Damen und Herren:

Fred William Gaisberg's memories are a MUST for any collector. As to provide
the needed spiritual feed to our souls of collectors, one must read, at
least:

- Jerry Nolthtrop Moore's "A Matter Of Records"
- Roland Gelatt's "The Fabulous Phonograph"
- Fred W. Gaisberg's "Music On Record", or "The Music Goes Round" (US and UK
editions had different titles)

Maybe too Francis James' "The EMG Story"

These books will give breath to all the romantic part of the hobby in a
collector, talking about the fascinating pioneers of the recording art, al
those long expeditions carried on in the very first days of the XX century,
that have an unarguable connection with all the exciting polar expeditions
of the old days.

After reading Gaisberg's memories, specially, one would feel hungry and
longing to have been able to participate in those early recording days. All
the stories about Berliner, or Edison, or the men at HMV in the UK and
Europe, their expeditions, the technical issues, experiments and all their
fighting for settling a powerful entertainment industry...

Also the Raymond R Sooy memories, or the Paul Vernon articles (Folk Roots,
Vernacular Music) on the recording industry all around the world are also
very formative for the spirit of a FULL HEART collector.

Let's say: one 78 collector will never be the same after having read all
those books; after that, a 78 listening session will be something different,
and 78s will became objects of veneration and respected treasures from the
past.

Too romantic to follow...

Iñigo Cubillo