[78-L] "Remeber My Forgotten Band"

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jun 17 12:03:26 PDT 2009

> I'm amazed that ANY 20-somethings have even heard of Ellington, Basie,
> Goodman and Miller!  One of our 20-something interns had never even heard
> of
> Streisand or WEST SIDE STORY!
>
> Dave W.

I've bitched about this before,  but part of the reason that we have so many
younger people with no sense of history is that these days it's so easy to
isolate yourself by selecting and programming what media you want to
experience.

When I/you/we/some of us were growing up,  there were only three TV
networks,  and everyone watched Ed Sullivan on Sunday evenings,  or maybe
Hollywood Palace on Saturdays,  where you could see everything from old-time
vaudeville players all the way up to current rock bands,  with time for
opera,  swing band vets,  middle-of-the road pop stuff,  etc.

I recall seeing The Beatles,  Stones,  Doors,  Beach Boys, but also Sophie
Tucker,  Tony Martin,  Anna Moffo,  Robert Merrill, Phil Harris,  etc. etc.
You couldn't help but learn a thing or two about American music and history.

You may not have liked it all,  but at least you got a chance to learn about
it and decide what pleased you or not.

These days,  everything is so compartmentalized that you can actually (I
just learned this) tune into a Sirius radio station which plays nothing but
Grateful Dead, 24/7.

Taylor