[78-L] Writing in the wax

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 16 20:23:49 PDT 2009

I just got a disc from Nauck that is the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and
Bailey's Band playing Pageantry March and Colossus of Columbia March.

The disc is Victor 22474.  On both sides, there is a capital R near the take
number.  On the A side it immediately follows the take, and on the B side,
it is directly under the take.

Does anyone have copies handy to see if there is perhaps an L on some
issues? ;-)

An interesting side note, Merle Evans is the conductor on these sides.
Merle was the very long-time conductor of the Ringling and B&B Band.  In the
'80s he visited Athens, Georgia and recorded a special LP of circus band
music with the Classic City Band.  I think the temporarily renamed
themselves the Classic City Circus Band for this record.  Anyway...a good
friend of mine who is the recording engineer at the University of Georgia
recorded that record, and still has the master tape.  Really fun listening!

Thanks for any help!

Sammy Jones