[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Randy Skretvedt forwardintothepast at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 11:11:48 PDT 2009

Message: 17
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:37:41 -0400
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

Legendary collector/dealer Jim Hadfield had one..Frank Crumit's "Gum Tree
Canoe". He finally got what he believed to be the only known copy. I've
certainly never seen it anywhere else or on anyone's auction list.

And he let me borrow it to transfer for a CD issue!

dl

And I'm certainly glad he let you borrow it, and that you transferred it,
as it's a *wonderful* record, one of my very favorite Frank Crumit discs.

"Hollywood Holiday" by Skeets et al was reissued on a "Star-Tone" LP in the 1970s; I believe it was "Stars Over Hollywood."  Too bad the vinyl used for that and other LPs on that label was noisier than the original 78s!