[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 14 23:12:51 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
> The Gilley 45 Minor MH-106 Tell Me Why/Ooh Wee Baby was the first one
> he put out. I guess collectors like me are looking for it & that
> drives prices up. As to RCA stereo shaded dogs (LSC series) & the
> stereo Mercury Living Presence LP's, both sound great for late 50's
> early stereo & classical collectors will pay good money for better
> condition copies. The mono's of these are less desirable but easier
> to find. I've got mono's from both labels & still trying to find the
> stereo versions of the same recordings. When I do find them they are
> played, enjoyed & kept!!

And...but...there is a particular (wierd) mentality among rock'n'roll-era
collectors whereby records on the SAME label, but with puce rather
than mauve lettering, become a separate (and seperately valued) entity!
Yup, collectors can get WAY out of hand when defining what is, and
what isn't, a "rare collectible item!"

Some of my HMV-Victors have "Victor" on their labels...many DON'T!
Do I promote these records based on that fact, with the scarcer sort
(with "Victor") thus being much higher-priced?!

And are (like stamps) records whose labels lack a comma therefore
worth unimaginable sums...?!

...stevenc