[78-L] The whistler and his dog

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 14 20:36:55 PDT 2009

Roger Pryor's son was primarily known as an actor but he also led a dance band
long enough to record a swing version..for Vocalion in 1938.

The first version I ever owned was on Mercury Miniature Playhouse, recorded by
an unidentified orchestra using an echo chamber cranked up full. Great flip
side, "Choo Choo Train Ride" (Bahnfahrt) from an old Telefunken master from the
early 30s. When Mercury lost the rights to Telefunken they redid it with Hugo
Peretti's Orchestra (both sides, now on Mercury Childcraft) and it wasn't
nearly as good.

Has anyone pointed out that the whistling on the electrical Pryor Victor is by
Billy Murray and Margaret McKee?

dl