[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Sun Jun 14 20:09:40 PDT 2009

At 12:41 AM 6/14/2009, you wrote:
>Congratulations,  Dennis.  It doesn't matter what you paid for it...when you
>have an opportunity to grab something you're pretty sure you might not see
>again for many moons,  then just go for it,  if you can afford it (and keep
>the news from the Mrs.!).
>
>I've never just happened upon some record treasure like that,  but get the
>same feeling when one of my "most wanted' turns up on a list or on eBay.
>
>I once paid $600 for a copy of the Jose Ferrer and the Pied Pipers 1932
>record of Sweet Georgia Brown...have never regretted it and have never seen
>as nice a copy offered since.  Was the price "too much"?  I'm sure some
>would argue that it was,  but who cares?    I paid more than that for the
>little blue Flexo record of sax player Larry Tice (Goldkette Orch)  from
>1928 of a few guys jamming on some tune and then Larry wishing you a Merry
>Christmas for 1928.  Don't imagine I'll see that one again,  and if I do,
>it won't be for sale!
>
>Taylor B

Try dropping $400 at a record collector show for a near mint 45 of
Mickey Gilley's first record that he ever made. It was on the Minor
label & yes I still own it. Another record I picked up at a different
collector show was a near mint stereo copy of Offenbachs Gaite
Pairisianne  by Author Fiedler & The Boston Pops (RCA LSC-1817) that
was worth $350 at the time (collector book value) & I only paid $6
for it. I still have that stereo LP as well as the 1954 mono copy of
the same recording. Either the dealer didn't know that a valuable
record was in the box I dug though or he didn't care at the time on
what it might bring. Today that LP is worth about $500 & yes I'm keeping it.

Holy Grail 78's? I've found a few. One was Rag Mop (on Bullet) by
Johnny Lee Wills & His Boys. Don't remember what I paid for it. Less
than $20 I think.....