[78-L] 78s and 45s of Texarkana Baby by Eddy Arnold

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:47:57 PDT 2009

I know there's a 1942 short showing how Victor made records, and at
that time they still recorded straight onto wax at 78, but did Victor
ever begin simultaneous 33 rpm lacquer session cutting along the lines
of CBS-Columbia's practice?  I'd expect the 33 disc would be the
source for the 45 transfers where they exist.  And when did Victor go
over to lacquer cutting for 78 masters?

It's a little odd that RCA didn't just use their new prefixes for the
45 rpm series, and retain the applicable last 4 digits of the XX-XXXX
numbers the same as used on the 78s, retroactively.  It does appear
that soon enough, they were brought into correspondence on new numbers
when it was determined the 45 wasn't flopping in the marketplace.

It looks like they wanted to re-classify some records--'Texarkana
baby'/'Bouquet....' was on the regular pop series, and (by the looks
of it) was released before RCA had started the 21-XXXX country series
on 78s, where it likely would have been released had that series been
in existence at the time.