[78-L] Accent you hate [FWD]

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 13 06:27:52 PDT 2009

Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> Hmmm... I wonder just how much influence the languages of the various
> "indian" tribes white settlers came into contact with had in shaping
> British English as spoken in that time into American English? If so,
> accent and pronunciation would change according to where the settlements
> were located, geographically. Could explain a lot.

I know that around here, there are words that have been lifted from
Indian that are in common use. Names of cities, regions, etc. We also
have a lot of French, being one of the first areas of French occupation
(Wisconsin).

Culturally, I don't think Whites and Indians mixed very well, sadly.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.