[78-L] Classy criticism of Chick Bullock [WAS: accents]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jun 12 20:32:51 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <SDavies at mtroyal.ca>
>I was looking into the provenance of "Alla en el rancho grande"; was it
> written by Silvano Ramos or was it a traditional Mexican folk song? I
> found
> this page which looks at a copyright court case from 1941. It has a short
> audio clip which doesn't include the vocal, but the author does comment on
> the singer of this recording:
>
> <<<
>    The audio clip linked above was taken from big band leader Chick
>    Bullock’s recording of "Alla in el Rancho Grande" made in 1939 –
>    remarkable, in part, for the performer’s insouciance towards
>    inflectional differences between American English and Spanish.
Whatever it may have been to begin with...it (like "The Peanut Vendor")
became a MAJOR hit tune across North America once released!
The US market has offered many "ethnic" recordings (see under
"Beer Barrel Polka" for one example!) as "hit" records...and in virtually
ALL cases, NO serious attempt was made to preserve the original
"ethnic" aspects of the tune in question!!

...stevenc