[78-L] Accent you hate [FWD]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 23:55:40 PDT 2009

Mike Harkin wrote:
  > Many years ago Masterpiece Theatre ran an adaption of Last of the
Mohicans;
> at first I thought it funny that alll the Indians had British accents, till I realised that probably we all had British accents....  Or at least the remnants of one, as I understand that by Irving's time Brits were deriding Americans' strange accents.  It sure would have been nice to have had the phonograph/gramophone back then!
>
> Then there's Jean Marsh, who Alastair Cooke told us during the first run of Upstairs, Downstairs was a true Cockney.  Which means she probably spent millions of pounds on elocution lessons to get rid of her Cockney
> accent....  So which was her most famous part?  Rose, the Cockney 'ousemide'!  Go know!
>
> Mike in Plovdiv
An interesting side issue is about American male popular studio singers.
Until crooners came along most seemed to sing with an English-type or,
at least, a neutral "accent": Irving Kaufman, Scrappy Lambert, Arthur
Fields, Sid Garry etc.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4149 (20090611) __________

http://www.eset.com